What is it?
The Splice API exposes Fabric Engine’s core execution engine and KL language to other applications. This provides you with a range of benefits:
- Empowered TDs: Fabric is a high-performance tool framework that is as fast as highly optimized C++, but as easy to use as Python
- Portable R&D: Fabric tools are completely encapsulated and can be moved between the applications in your pipeline
- Tools as Assets: Fabric tools can be run as procedurals on your render nodes
- Portable Assets: a manipulation framework for building consistent user interaction for tools means that you can move your asset and it’s interface freely between applications
- Future-proof R&D: tools built with Fabric and the Splice API can run in the standalone Fabric Engine framework
So far we have ‘Spliced’ Fabric Engine with Maya, Softimage and Arnold. We are currently working on Splicing Fabric with 3DS Max and Houdini. The Splice API allows developers to expose Fabric to other applications, such as other DCC applications, renderers or their in-house custom dependency graphs.
Full Demonstration of Splice API
The Splice API provides the following features:
- Just-in-time compilation of KL code
- Simplification of the Fabric Core C/C++, for easy deployment
- Easy integration as a custom OpenGL render pass
- Facilities for interactive user tools (manipulation)
- Support for the Splice persistence (loading and saving of portable tools)
- Full access to the Fabric Core Dependency Graph (subgraphs)
- Access to KL extensions such as hardware libraries or file formats
- Zero additional dependencies (all provided as single library)
- Dynamic or static library versions
- Cross platform: Windows, Linux and OSX support
The Splice API manages the construction of the Fabric Core client, automates loading of KL types and provides a solid persistence framework. Using the Splice API you can deploy the complete KL toolchain with just a couple lines of C/C++ code.
How do I get Splice?
We’re currently testing Spliced Maya, and about to start testing Spliced Nuke, so email us and we’ll add you to the list.